- 1[uncountable] the mixture of gases that surrounds the earth and that we breathe air pollution Let's go out for some fresh air. I need to put some air in my tires. currents of warm air whales coming up for air (= in order to breathe) The act lays down a minimum standard for air quality. note at outside space
- 2the air [uncountable] the space above the ground or that is around things I kicked the ball high in/into the air. Spicy smells wafted through the air. Music filled the night air. see also open air for planes
- 3[uncountable] the space above the earth where planes fly It only takes three hours by air (= in a plane). air travel/traffic The temple was clearly visible from the air. A surprise air attack (= from aircraft) was launched at night. impression
- 4[singular] the particular feeling or impression that is given by someone or something; the way someone does something The room had an air of luxury. She looked at him with a defiant air. There was an air of complete confidence about her. air conditioning
- 5the air [uncountable] = air conditioning Tell them to turn up the air. tune
- 6[countable] (old-fashioned) (often used in the title of a piece of music) a tune Bach's Air on a G string behavior
- 7airs [plural] (disapproving) a way of behaving that shows that someone thinks that they are more important, etc. than they really are I hate the way she puts on airs. Idioms
nounjump to other results
to stop doing something for a while After studying all morning, it was time to come up for air.
come up for airjump to other results
to feel very happy Most couples feel like they are walking on air on their wedding day.
float/walk on airjump to other results
felt by a number of people to exist or to be happening There's romance in the air.
in the airjump to other results
broadcasting or not broadcasting on television or radio We will be back on air tomorrow morning at 7. The program was taken off the air over the summer.
on/off (the) airjump to other results
not yet decided Our travel plans are still up in the air.
up in the airjump to other results