- 1 acceptable; in an acceptable manner synonym OK Is the coffee all right? Are you getting along all right in your new job?
- 2safe and well synonym OK I hope the children are all right. Do you feel all right? Thesauruswellgood all right OK fine healthy strong in shapeThese words all describe someone who is not sick and is in good health.well [not usually before noun] (somewhat informal) in good health:Is he well enough to travel? Well is used especially to talk about your own health, to ask someone about their health, or to make a comment on it.good [not usually before noun] (somewhat informal) in good health:I don't feel good. She's looking much better these days.all right [not before noun] (somewhat informal) not feeling ill; not injured:Are you feeling all right?OK [not before noun] (informal) not feeling ill; not injured:She says that she's OK now, and will be back at work tomorrow.all right or ok?These words are slightly less positive than the other words in this group. They are both used in spoken English, to talk about not actually being sick or injured, rather than being positively in good health. Both are somewhat informal but OK is slightly more informal than all right.fine [not before noun] (not used in negative statements) (somewhat informal) completely well:“How are you?” “Fine, thanks.” Fine is used especially to talk about your health, especially when someone asks you how you are. It is also used to talk about someone's health when you are talking to someone else.healthy in good health and not likely to become sick:Stay healthy by exercising regularly.strong in good health and not suffering from an illness:After a few weeks, she was feeling stronger. Strong is often used to talk about becoming healthy again after an illness.in shape in good physical health, especially because you take regular physical exercise:I go swimming every day in order to stay in shape.Patterns all right/OK/in shape for something all right/OK to do something to feel/look well/good/all right/OK/fine/healthy/strong to keep (somebody) well/healthy/in shape perfectly well/all right/OK/fine/healthy physically well/healthy/strong
- 3only just good enough synonym OK Your work is all right but I'm sure you could do better.
- 4that can be allowed synonym OK Are you sure it's all right for me to leave early?
- 5used to emphasize that there is no doubt about something “Are you sure it's her?” “Oh, it's her all right.” Idioms
(non-standard or informal alright)
used to say that a performance, an event, etc. will be successful even if the preparations for it have not gone well
it'll be all right on the night (saying)jump to other results