- 1 [uncountable] appreciation (of/for something) the feeling of being grateful for something Please accept this gift in appreciation of all you've done for us.
- 2[uncountable, singular] appreciation of something a full or sympathetic understanding of something, such as a situation or a problem, and of what it involves I had no appreciation of the problems they faced.
- 3[uncountable] pleasure that you have when you recognize and enjoy the good qualities of someone or something She shows little appreciation of good music. The crowd murmured in appreciation.
- 4[uncountable, singular] appreciation (in something) increase in value over a period of time an appreciation in the value of the house capital appreciation opposite depreciate
- 5[countable] appreciation (of something) (formal) a piece of writing or a speech in which the strengths and weaknesses of someone or something, especially an artist or a work of art, are discussed and judged They were asked to write an appreciation of a poem of their choice.
nounjump to other results