- 1 [uncountable, countable] an act of coming or being brought to a place Guests receive a bottle of champagne on/upon arrival at the hotel. We apologize for the late arrival of the train. the arrival of the mail in the morning daily arrivals of refugees There are 120 arrivals and departures every day. opposite departure
- 2[countable] a person or thing that comes to a place The first arrivals at the concert got the best seats. early/late/new arrivals We're expecting a new arrival (= a baby) in the family soon.
- 3 [uncountable] the time when a new technology or idea is introduced the arrival of high-definition TV Idioms
- 1 (of an accident victim or other patient) already dead when arriving at the hospital She was pronounced dead on arrival. He didn't even make it to the hospital: DOA. Many of the casualties were dead on arrival.
- 2 (informal) very unlikely to be successful; not working when it is delivered The bill was dead on arrival in the Senate. The software was DOA.
nounjump to other results
dead on arrival(abbreviation DOA)jump to other results