- 1a part of a tree that grows out from the main stem and on which leaves, flowers, and fruit grow She climbed the tree and hid in the branches. of company
- 2 a local office or store belonging to a large company or organization The bank has branches all over the country. Our New York branch is dealing with the problem. of government
- 3a part of a government or other large organization that deals with one particular aspect of its work synonym department the antiterrorist branch of knowledge
- 4a division of an area of knowledge or a group of languages the branch of computer science known as “artificial intelligence” of river/road
- 5 a smaller or less important part of a river, road, railroad, etc. that leads away from the main part a branch of the Mississippi a branch line (= a small line off a main railroad, often in country areas) of family
- 6a group of members of a family who all have the same ancestors My uncle's branch of the family emigrated to Canada.
nounjump to other results