- 1 [transitive, intransitive] to obtain something by paying money for it buy (something) Where did you buy that dress? If you're thinking of getting a new car, now is a good time to buy. buy something from somebody I bought it from a friend for $10. buy somebody something He bought me a new coat. buy something for somebody He bought a new coat for me. buy something + adj. I bought my car secondhand. opposite sell
- 2 [transitive] buy something (of money) to be enough to pay for something He gave his children the best education that money can buy. Five dollars doesn't buy much nowadays.
- 3[transitive] buy somebody to persuade someone to do something dishonest in return for money synonym bribe He can't be bought (= he's too honest to accept money in this way). obtain
- 4[transitive, usually passive] buy something to obtain something by losing something else of great value Her fame was bought at the expense of her marriage. believe
- 5 [transitive] buy something (informal) to believe that something is true, especially something that is not very likely You could say you were sick, but I don't think they'd buy it (= accept the explanation). Idioms
verbjump to other results
NAmE//baɪ//Verb Forms present simple I / you / we / they buy
he / she / it buys
past simple bought
-ing form buying
the very best We make sure our clients get the best that money can buy.
the best that money can buyjump to other results
to be killed, especially in an accident or a war Joe finally bought it in a plane crash in Tunisia.
(have) bought it(informal)jump to other results
buy the farm(informal)jump to other results
to do something in order to delay an event, a decision, etc. The negotiators kept the gunman talking to buy time for the hostages.
buy timejump to other results
if you buy a pig in a poke, you buy something without seeing it or knowing if it is good enough Buying from a catalog can mean buying a pig in a poke. Phrasal Verbsbuy into somethingbuy somebodyoffbuy somebodyoutbuy somethingup
(buy) a pig in a pokejump to other results