- 1one of the sharp, curved nails on the end of an animal's or a bird's foot The cat lashed out with its claws.
- 2a long, sharp, curved part of the body of some types of shellfish, used for catching and holding things the claws of a crab
- 3 part of a tool or machine, like a claw, used for holding, pulling, or lifting things a claw hammer (= used for pulling out nails) Idioms
- 1(disapproving) if a woman gets her claws into a man, she tries hard to make him marry her or have a relationship with her She's really got her claws into you!
- 2to criticize someone severely Wait until the media gets its claws into her.
get your claws into somebodyjump to other results