- 1a person or an animal that travels with you or spends a lot of time with you traveling companions Geoff was my companion on the journey. (figurative) Fear was the hostages' constant companion.
- 2a person who has similar tastes, interests, etc. to your own and whose company you enjoy She was a charming dinner companion. His younger brother is not much of a companion for him. They're drinking companions (= they go out drinking together).
- 3a person who shares in your work, pleasures, sadness, etc. We became companions in misfortune.
- 4 a person, usually a woman, employed to live with and help someone, especially someone old or sick
- 5one of a pair of things that go together or can be used together A companion volume is soon to be published.
- 6used in book titles to describe a book giving useful facts and information on a particular subject A Companion to French Literature see also boon companion