- 1 [countable] a sum of money that is given to a person or an organization in order to help pay for something synonym donation contribution (to something) to make a contribution to charity a generous contribution All contributions will be gratefully received. contribution (toward(s) something/doing something) valuable contributions toward the maintenance of the cathedral
- 2 [countable] contribution (to something) a sum of money that you pay regularly, often to your employer or the government, for benefits such as health insurance, a retirement plan, etc. monthly contributions to the retirement account unemployment insurance contributions Thesauruspaymentpremium contribution subscription repayment deposit installmentsThese are all words for an amount of money that you pay or are expected to pay, or for the act of paying.payment an amount of money that you pay or are expected to pay; the act of paying:ten monthly payments of $50 payment in advancepremium an amount of money that you pay once or regularly for an insurance policy; an extra payment added to the basic rate; a higher amount of money than usual:an insurance premium a premium for express deliverycontribution a sum of money that you pay regularly, often to your employer or the government, for benefits such as health insurance, a retirement plan, etc:You can increase your monthly contributions to your savings account.subscription an amount of money you pay in advance to receive regular copies of a newspaper or magazine, or to receive a service:a subscription to “Newsweek”repayment money that you pay to a bank, etc. until you have returned all the money that you owe; the act of paying this money:to set up a repayment plandeposit an amount of money that you pay as the first part of a larger payment; money that you put into a bank account:We've put down a 5% deposit on the house. I made a $500 deposit into my checking account.installments one of a number of payments that you make regularly over a period of time until you have paid for something:We paid for the car by/in installments.Patterns (a/an) annual/monthly/regular payment/premium/contributions/subscription/deposit/installments payment/repayment in full to pay a premium/a contribution/a subscription fee/a deposit/installments to make (a) payment/deposit to meet/keep up (with) (the) payment(s)/the premiums
- 3[countable, usually singular] an action or a service that helps to cause or increase something contribution (to something) He made a very positive contribution to the success of the project. a significant contribution to scientific knowledge the car's contribution to the greenhouse effect contribution (toward(s) something/doing something) These measures would make a valuable contribution toward reducing industrial accidents. AWL Collocationscontributecontribute verbto give a part of the total, together with othersfinancially greatly, significantly, substantially positively equallyMoreover, graduates can use their knowledge and skills in ways that contribute positively to their communities.to help to produce something; to play a part in somethinggreatly, significantly, substantially importantly positively disproportionately directly, indirectlyRelatively small areas of the city contribute disproportionately to the violent crime rate.(most) likely, undoubtedly significantlyCoral reefs in the oceans significantly contribute to the removal of atmospheric carbon dioxide.contributing adjectivefactorThe authors suggest that low proficiency in academic language is a contributing factor to academic failure.contribution nounimportant, significant major, substantial valuable outstanding, seminal, unique relativeIrving Fisher made seminal contributions to modern financial economics.
- 4[countable] contribution (to something) an item that forms part of a book, magazine, broadcast, discussion, etc. an important contribution to the debate All contributions for the May issue must be received by Friday.
- 5 [uncountable] contribution (to something) the act of giving something, especially money, to help a person or an organization
nounjump to other results