- 1[countable] a loud sound without words that expresses a strong feeling to give a cry of anguish/despair/relief/surprise/terror, etc.
- 2[countable] a loud shout With a cry of “Stop thief!” he ran after the boy. Her answer was greeted with cries of outrage.
- 3[countable] the sound made by a bird or an animal the cry of gulls circling overhead
- 4[singular] an action or a period of crying I felt a lot better after a good long cry.
- 5[countable] cry (for something) an urgent demand or request for something Her suicide attempt was really a cry for help.
- 6[countable] (especially in compounds) a word or phrase that expresses a group's beliefs and calls people to action a battle cry His speech attacking the government has proved a rallying cry for party dissidents. Idioms
a very different experience from something All this luxury was a far cry from the poverty of his childhood.
a far cry from somethingjump to other results
strong public protest about something Further cuts in welfare have raised a hue and cry among the public.
hue and cryjump to other results