- 1[countable] a small container shaped like a bowl, usually with a handle, used for drinking tea, coffee, etc. a teacup a coffee cup a cup and saucer a paper cup
- 2[countable] the contents of a cup She drank the whole cup. Would you like a cup of tea?
- 3 [countable] a unit for measuring quantity used in cooking; a metal or plastic container used to measure this quantity two cups of flour and half a cup of butter
- 4[countable] a thing shaped like a cup an egg cup
- 5[countable] a gold or silver cup on a stem, often with two handles, that is given as a prize in a competition She's won several cups for skating. He lifted the cup for the fifth time this year (= it was the fifth time he had won).
- 6[singular] Cup a sports competition in which a cup is given as a prize the World Cup
- 7[countable] one of the two parts of a bra that cover the breast a C cup
- 8 [countable] (in golf) a hole in the ground that you must get the ball into
- 9 [countable] a piece of plastic that a man wears over his sex organs to protect them while he is playing a sport Idioms
nounjump to other results
a cup of coffee
a cup of joe(informal)jump to other results
not what someone likes or is interested in An evening at the opera isn't everyone's cup of tea. He's nice enough but not really my cup of tea.
not somebody's cup of tea(informal)jump to other results
nothing is completely certain until it really happens because things can easily go wrong
there's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip(saying)jump to other results