- 1[countable] a series of movements and steps that are usually performed to music; a particular example of these movements and steps a dance class/routine Find a partner and practice these new dance steps. Do you know any other Latin American dances? The next dance will be a waltz. see also rain dance
- 2[uncountable] the art of dancing, especially for entertainment an evening of drama, music and dance modern/classical dance a dance company/troupe
- 3[countable] an act of dancing He did a little dance of triumph.
- 4[countable] a social event at which people dance We hold a dance every year to raise money for charity.
- 5 [countable] a piece of music for dancing to The band finished with a few slow dances. Idioms
nounjump to other results
a long explanation about something, or excuse for something
a song and dance (about something) (informal)jump to other results