- 1[uncountable] the quality of being, or appearing to be, easy to damage or break synonym fragile the delicacy of the fabric Her skin had the delicacy of a flower.
- 2[uncountable] the quality of being done carefully and gently synonym tender the delicacy of his touch
- 3 [uncountable] very careful behavior in a difficult situation so that nobody is offended synonym tact She handled the situation with great sensitivity and delicacy.
- 4[uncountable] the fact that a situation is difficult and someone may be easily offended I need to talk to you about a matter of some delicacy.
- 5 [countable] a type of food considered to be very special in a particular place synonym speciality local delicacies Dr. Jaffrey handed us a plate of dates: traditionally the delicacy with which to break the Ramadan fast.