- 1 [uncountable] a medical condition in which a person feels very sad and anxious and often has physical symptoms such as being unable to sleep, etc. clinical depression She suffered from severe depression after losing her job. see also postpartum depression
- 2[uncountable, countable] the state of feeling very sad and without hope There was a feeling of gloom and depression in the office when the news of the job cuts was announced.
- 3[countable, uncountable] a period when there is little economic activity and many people are poor or without jobs The country was in the grip of (an) economic depression. the Great Depression of the 1930s
- 4[countable] (formal) a part of a surface that is lower than the parts around it synonym hollow Rainwater collects in shallow depressions on the ground.
- 5 [countable] (technology) a weather condition in which the pressure of the air becomes lower, often causing rain an atmospheric depression moving east from the Pacific compare anticyclone
nounjump to other results