- 1[uncountable] the gradual growth of something so that it becomes more advanced, stronger, etc. a baby's development in the womb the development of basic skills such as literacy and numeracy career development new product
- 2[uncountable, countable] the process of producing or creating something new or more advanced; a new or advanced product the development of vaccines against tropical diseases developments in aviation technology This piece of equipment is an exciting new development. see also research and development new event
- 3[countable] a new event or stage that is likely to affect what happens in a continuing situation the latest developments in the war Are there further developments in the investigation? new buildings
- 4 [countable] a piece of land with new buildings on it a commercial/business/housing development
- 5[uncountable] the process of using an area of land, especially to make a profit by building on it, etc. He bought the land for development.
nounjump to other results