- 1a jump into deep water with your head first and your arms in front of you a spectacular high dive (= from high above the water) underwater
- 2 an act of going underwater and swimming there with special equipment a dive to a depth of 120 feet of birds/aircraft
- 3an act of suddenly flying downward bar/club
- 4 (informal) a bar, music club, etc. that is cheap, and perhaps dark or dirty The band played in every smoky dive in town. fall
- 5 (in soccer, field hockey, etc.) a deliberate fall that a player makes when someone tackles them, so that the referee awards a foul His dive won a penalty. Idioms
jump into waternounjump to other results
to suddenly move or jump forward to do something or reach someone or something The goalkeeper made a dive for the ball. Paul made a dive for the fridge to get a drink.
make a dive (for something)jump to other results
to suddenly get worse Profits really took a dive last year.
take a dive(informal)jump to other results