- 1[countable] a tool or machine with a pointed end for making holes an electric drill a pneumatic drill a hand drill a dentist's drill a drill bit (= the pointed part at the end of the drill )
- 2[countable, uncountable] a way of learning something by means of repeated exercises
- 3[countable, uncountable] a practice of what to do in an emergency, for example if there is a fire a fire drill
- 4[uncountable] military training in marching, the use of weapons, etc. rifle drill
- 5 the drill [singular] the correct or usual way to do something synonym procedure What's the drill for claiming expenses?
- 6[uncountable] a type of strong cotton cloth
- 7 [countable] a machine for planting seeds in rows