- 1 [countable] a model of a person, used especially when making clothes or for showing them in a store window a tailor's dummy a ventriloquist's dummy
- 2[countable] a thing that seems to be real but is only a copy of the real thing The bottles of whiskey on display are all dummies.
- 3 [countable] (informal) a stupid person Don't just stand there, you dummy.
- 4[countable] (in some sports) an occasion when you pretend to pass the ball to another player and then do not do so
- 5[uncountable] (in card games, especially bridge) the cards that are placed facing upward on the table and that can be seen by all the players She played a jack from dummy.