- 1[uncountable] the ability to put effort and enthusiasm into an activity, work, etc. It's a waste of time and energy. She's always full of energy. nervous energy (= energy produced by feeling nervous)
- 2energies [plural] the physical and mental effort that you use to do something She put all her energies into her work. creative/destructive energies
- 3 [uncountable] a source of power, such as fuel, used for driving machines, providing heat, etc. solar/nuclear energy It is important to conserve energy. an energy crisis (= for example when fuel is not freely available) The $500 million program is centered around energy efficiency and renewable power sources. Topic CollocationsThe Environmentenvironmental damage cause/contribute to climate change/global warming produce pollution/CO2/greenhouse (gas) emissions damage/destroy the environment/a marine ecosystem/the ozone layer/coral reefs degrade ecosystems/habitats/the environment harm the environment/wildlife/marine life threaten natural habitats/coastal ecosystems/a species with extinction deplete natural resources/the ozone layer pollute rivers and lakes/waterways/the air/the atmosphere/the environment/oceans contaminate groundwater/the soil/food/crops log forests/rainforests/treesprotecting the environment address/combat/tackle the threat/effects/impact of climate change fight/take action on/reduce/stop global warming limit/curb/control air/water/atmospheric/environmental pollution cut/reduce pollution/greenhouse (gas) emissions offset carbon/CO2 emissions reduce (the size of) your carbon footprint achieve/promote sustainable development preserve/conserve biodiversity/natural resources protect endangered species/a coastal ecosystem prevent/stop soil erosion/overfishing/massive deforestation/damage to ecosystems raise awareness of environmental issues save the planet/the rainforests/an endangered speciesenergy and resources conserve/save/consume/waste energy manage/exploit/be rich in natural resources dump/dispose of hazardous/toxic/nuclear waste/sewage dispose of/throw away litter/garbage/trash use/be made from recycled/recyclable/biodegradable material recycle bottles/packaging/paper/plastic/waste promote/encourage recycling/sustainable development/the use of renewable energy develop/invest in/promote renewable energy reduce your dependence/reliance on fossil fuels get/obtain/generate/produce electricity from wind, solar, and wave power/renewable sources build/develop a (50-megawatt/offshore) wind farm install/be powered by solar panels
- 4[uncountable] (physics) the ability of matter or radiation to work because of its mass, movement, electric charge, etc. kinetic/potential, etc. energy
- 5[uncountable] a force that some people believe is present in a place and can affect your mood or thoughts Let's use the positive energy in the room to help relax our minds and bodies.
nounjump to other results