- 1moving or able to move quickly a fast car/horse the world's fastest runner
- 2happening in a short time or without delay the fastest rate of increase for years a fast response time
- 3able to do something quickly a fast learner surface
- 4 producing or allowing quick movement a fast road/track see also fast lane watch/clock
- 5 [not before noun] showing a time later than the true time I'm early—my watch must be fast. That clock is ten minutes fast. firmly fastened
- 6 (of a boat, etc.) firmly fastened or attached He made the boat fast. colors in clothes
- 7 not likely to change or to come out when washed photographic film
- 8(technology) very sensitive to light, and therefore useful when taking photographs in poor light or of something that is moving very quickly There is no noun related to fast. Use speed in connection with vehicles, actions, etc.;quickness is used about thinking. Which Word?fast / quick / rapidThese adjectives are frequently used with the following nouns:
adjectivejump to other results
|fast ~||quick ~||rapid ~|
(of films/movies, shows, etc.) full of rapid action and sudden changes In his latest movie, the action is fast and furious.
fast and furiousjump to other results
a person who can talk very quickly and easily, but who cannot always be trusted As a politician, she had the reputation for being a real fast talker.
a fast talkerjump to other results
(especially after a negative) that cannot be changed in any circumstances There are no hard and fast rules about this. This situation isn't hard and fast.
hard and fastjump to other results
to earn money quickly and easily This is a long-term project. We are not out to make a quick buck.
make a fast/quick buck(informal)(often disapproving)jump to other results
to trick someone
pull a fast one (on somebody)(slang)jump to other results