- 1 [countable] a trip made by air, especially in a plane a smooth/comfortable/bumpy flight a domestic/an international flight a hot-air balloon flight We met on a flight from Las Vegas to Kansas City. All flights between New York and Washington have been canceled due to fog. see also in-flight plane
- 2 [countable] a plane making a particular journey We're on the same flight. Flight 4793 is now boarding at Gate 17. If we leave now, I can catch the earlier flight. mercy/relief flights (= planes taking help to countries where there is a war) Topic CollocationsTravel and Tourismvacations have/take a vacation/a break/a day off/a year off/time off go on/be on vacation/leave/honeymoon/safari/sabbatical/a trip/a tour/a cruise/a pilgrimage go backpacking/camping/sightseeing plan a trip/a vacation/your itinerary reserve a hotel room/a flight/tickets have/make/cancel a reservation rent a condo/a vacation home/a cabin rent a car/bicycle/moped/scooter/Jet Ski stay in a hotel/a bed and breakfast/a youth hostel/a villa/a trailer/a vacation home/a resort/a timeshare cost/charge $100 a/per night for a suite/a single/double/twin room check into/out of a hotel/a motel/your room pack/unpack your suitcase/bags call/order room service cancel/cut short a trip/vacationforeign travel apply for/get/renew a/your passport take out/buy/get travel insurance catch/miss your plane/train/ferry/connecting flight fly (in)/travel (in) first/business/economy class make/have a brief/two-day/twelve-hour layover/stopover in Hong Kong experience/cause/lead to delays check (in)/collect/get/lose your baggage/luggage be charged for/pay excess baggage fees board/get on/leave/get off the aircraft/plane/ship/ferry taxi down/leave/approach/hit/overshoot the runway experience/hit/encounter (mild/severe) turbulence suffer from/recover from/get over your jet lag/motion sickness be seasick/carsickthe tourist industry attract/draw/bring tourists/visitors encourage/promote/hurt tourism promote/develop ecotourism build/develop/visit a tourist/tropical/beach/ski resort work for/be operated by a major hotel chain be served by/compete with low-fare/low-cost/budget airlines use/go to/have a travel agent contact/check with your travel agent/tour operator buy/be on/go on a package deal/vacation/tour buy/bring back (tacky/overpriced) souvenirs flying
- 3[uncountable] the act of flying the age of supersonic flight flight safety The bird is easily recognized in flight (= when it is flying) by the black band at the end of its tail. movement of object
- 4[uncountable] the movement or direction of an object as it travels through the air the flight of a ball of steps
- 5[countable] a series of steps between two floors or levels She fell down a flight of stairs/steps and hurt her back. running away
- 6[uncountable, singular] the act of running away from a dangerous or difficult situation the flight of refugees from the advancing forces a flight from harsh reality The main character is a journalist in flight from a failed marriage. of fancy/imagination
- 7[countable] flight of fancy/imagination an idea or a statement that shows a lot of imagination but is not practical or sensible This idea was one of my wilder flights of fancy. group of birds/aircraft
- 8 [countable] a group of birds or aircraft flying together a flight of geese They flew in two flights of three aircraft. Idioms
journey by air
nounjump to other results
to force someone to run away The enemy was quickly put to flight.
put somebody to flight(old-fashioned)jump to other results
to run away The gang took flight when they heard the police car.
take flightjump to other results