- 1[countable, usually singular] a quick, light movement the flutter of wings with a flutter of her long, dark eyelashes (figurative) to feel a flutter of panic in your stomach
- 2 [singular] a state of nervous or confused excitement Her sudden arrival caused quite a flutter. to be in a flutter
- 3 [countable] a very fast heartbeat, caused when someone is nervous or excited Her heart gave a flutter as she went out on stage.
- 4[uncountable] (medical) a medical condition in which you have a fast, unsteady heartbeat
- 5 [uncountable] (technology) rapid changes in the pitch or volume of recorded sound compare wow