- 1[countable] a part of something, especially cloth, that is folded or hangs as if it had been folded the folds of her dress loose folds of skin
- 2[countable] a mark or line made by folding something, or showing where something should be folded Why is the place I want to find always on the fold of the map?
- 3[countable] an area in a field surrounded by a fence or wall where sheep are kept for safety
- 4the fold [singular] a group of people with whom you feel you belong or who share the same ideas or beliefs He called on former Republican voters to return to the fold. She was determined to draw Matthew back into the family fold.
- 5[countable] (geology) a curve or bend in the line of the layers of rock in the earth's crust Idioms
in/not in a position where you see it first, for example in the top/bottom part of a newspaper page or web page Your ad will be placed above the fold for prominent exposure. The images all appeared below the fold. see also above-the-fold, below-the-fold
above/below the foldjump to other results