- 1[countable] (mathematics) a series of letters, numbers, or symbols that represent a rule or law This formula is used to calculate the area of a circle.
- 2[countable] (chemistry) letters and symbols that show the parts of a chemical compound, etc. CO is the formula for carbon monoxide.
- 3[countable] a particular method of doing or achieving something They're trying to work out a peace formula acceptable to both sides in the dispute. All the patients were interviewed according to a standard formula. formula for something/for doing something There's no magic formula for a perfect marriage.
- 4[countable] a list of the things that something is made from, giving the amount of each substance to use the secret formula for the blending of the whiskey
- 5 (also ˈformula milk) [uncountable, countable] a type of liquid food for babies, given instead of breast milk
- 6[countable] a class of racing car, based on engine size, etc. Formula One racing™
- 7[countable] a fixed form of words used in a particular situation legal formulae The minister keeps coming out with the same tired formulas.
nounjump to other results
NAmE//ˈfɔrmyələ//(pl. formulas, formulae