- 1[uncountable] the soft thick mass of hair that grows on the body of some animals The cat carefully licked its fur.
- 2[uncountable] the skin of an animal with the fur still on it, used especially for making clothes a fur coat the fur trade a fur farm (= where animals are bred and killed for their fur) The animal is hunted for its fur. fur-lined gloves
- 3[uncountable] an artificial material that looks and feels like fur
- 4[countable] a piece of clothing, especially a coat or jacket, made of real or artificial fur elegant ladies in furs
- 5 [uncountable] a white layer that forms on a person's tongue, especially when they are sick see also furred
nounjump to other results