- 1(often in compounds) an instrument for measuring the amount or level of something a fuel/gas/temperature, etc. gauge
- 2a measurement of the width or thickness of something What gauge of wire do we need?
- 3 the distance between the rails of a railroad track or the wheels of a train standard gauge (= 56½ inches in the U.S.) a narrow gauge (= narrower than standard) railroad
- 4 a measurement of the width of the barrel of a gun synonym bore a 12-gauge shotgun
- 5 [usually singular] gauge (of something) a fact or an event that can be used to estimate or judge something Tomorrow's game against the defending champions will be a good gauge of their strength.