- 1 a letter or number given on an exam or for a piece of school work She got good grades on her exams. 70% of students got a grade of C or above.
- 2 one of the levels in a school with children of similar age Sam is in (the) second grade.
- 3the quality of a particular product or material All the materials used were of the highest grade.
- 4 = gradient
- 5 a level of ability or rank that someone has in an organization salary grades (= levels of pay)
- 6(technology) how serious an illness is low/high grade fever Idioms
nounjump to other results
to reach the necessary standard; to succeed About 10% of trainees fail to make the grade.
make the grade (informal)jump to other results