- 1having the color of smoke or ash gray eyes/hair wisps of gray smoke a gray suit
- 2 [not usually before noun] having gray hair He's gotten very gray.
- 3 (of a person's skin color) pale and dull, because they are sick, tired, or sad The next morning she looked very gray and hollow-eyed.
- 4(of the sky or weather) dull; full of clouds gray skies I hate these gray days.
- 5without interest or variety; making you feel sad Life seems gray and pointless without him.
- 6(disapproving) not interesting or attractive The company was full of faceless gray men who all looked the same.
- 7[only before noun] connected with old people the gray vote gray power
- noun [uncountable, singular]
graynessjump to other results