- 1[uncountable] (of people, animals, or plants) the process of growing physically, mentally, or emotionally Lack of water will stunt the plant's growth. Remove dead leaves to encourage new growth. a concern with personal (= mental and emotional) growth and development growth hormones (= designed to make someone or something grow faster)
- 2[uncountable] growth (in/of something) an increase in the size, amount, or degree of something population growth the rapid growth in violent crime His book describes the growth of nationalism in Germany before the Second World War.
- 3[uncountable] an increase in economic activity a disappointing year of little growth in America and Britain policies aimed at sustaining economic growth an annual growth rate of 10% a growth area/industry
- 4[countable] a lump caused by a disease that forms on or inside a person, an animal, or a plant a malignant/cancerous growth
- 5[uncountable, countable] something that has grown The forest's dense growth provides nesting places for a wide variety of birds. several days' growth of beard Prune the shrub heavily now and fresh green growths should appear in March and April.
nounjump to other results