- 1(also hatchway) an opening or a door in the deck of a ship or the bottom of an aircraft, through which goods to be carried are passed
- 2 a door in an aircraft or a spacecraft an escape hatch
- 3an opening or a door in a floor or ceiling a hatch to the attic Idioms
- 1to prepare yourself for a period of difficulty or trouble A natural tendency in times of recession is to batten down the hatches and think about our own needs.
- 2(on a ship) to firmly shut all the entrances to the lower part, especially because a storm is expected
batten down the hatchesjump to other results
used before drinking something, especially to express good wishes before drinking alcohol
down the hatch(informal)(saying)jump to other results