- 1 [countable] a person who invites guests to a meal, a party, etc. or who has people staying at their house James, our host, introduced us to the other guests. see also hostess
- 2[countable] a country, a city, or an organization that holds and arranges a special event The college is playing host to a group of visiting Russian scientists.
- 3 [countable] a person who introduces a television or radio show, and talks to guests a TV game show host see also announcer
- 4[countable] (technology) an animal or a plant on which another animal or plant lives and feeds
- 5[countable] host of somebody/something a large number of people or things a host of possibilities
- 6[countable] the main computer in a network that controls or supplies information to other computers that are connected to it transferring files from the host to your local computer
- 7the Host [singular] the bread that is used in the Christian service of communion, after it has been blessed
nounjump to other results