- 1very unfriendly or aggressive and ready to argue or fight The speaker got a hostile reception from the audience. hostile to/toward somebody/something She was openly hostile toward her parents.
- 2 hostile (to something) strongly rejecting something synonym opposed to hostile to the idea of change The Democrats' proposals have provoked a hostile response from the Republicans.
- 3making it difficult for something to happen or to be achieved hostile conditions for plants to grow in
- 4belonging to a military enemy hostile territory
- 5(business) (of an offer to buy a company, etc.) not wanted by the company that is to be bought a hostile takeover bid