- 1feeling that you want to eat something I'm really hungry. She wasn't feeling very hungry. Is anyone getting hungry? All this talk of food is making me hungry. I have a hungry family to feed.
- 2not having enough food to eat Thousands are going hungry because of the failure of this year's harvest.
- 3the hungry noun [plural] people who do not have enough food to eat
- 4[only before noun] causing you to feel that you want to eat something All this gardening is hungry work.
- 5hungry (for something) having or showing a strong desire for something Both parties are hungry for power. power-hungry The child is simply hungry for affection. His eyes had a wild hungry look in them.
adjectivejump to other results
hungrilyjump to other results
NAmE//ˈhʌŋɡrəli//adverb They gazed hungrily at the display of food. He kissed her hungrily.