- 1[countable, uncountable] the impression that a person, an organization, or a product, etc. gives to the public His public image is very different from the real person. The advertisements are intended to improve the company's image. Image is very important in the music world. stereotyped images of women in children's books
- 2[countable] a mental picture that you have of what someone or something is like or looks like images of the past I had a mental image of what she would look like.
- 3[countable] (formal) a copy of someone or something in the form of a picture or statue Images of deer and hunters decorate the cave walls. a wooden image of the Hindu god Ganesh In the Bible it states that humans were created in the image ofGod.
- 4[countable] a picture of someone or something seen in a mirror, through a camera, or on a television or computer He stared at his own image reflected in the water. Slowly, an image began to appear on the screen. see also mirror image
- 5[countable] a word or phrase used with a different meaning from its normal one, in order to describe something in a way that produces a strong picture in the mind poetic images of the countryside Idioms
nounjump to other results
to look very like someone or something else He's the image of his father. see also spitting image
be the image of somebody/somethingjump to other results