- 1For the special uses of in in phrasal verbs, look at the entries for the verbs. For example, deal in something is in the phrasal verb section at deal. at a point within an area or a space a country in Africa The kids were playing in the street. It's in that drawer. I read about it in the paper.
- 2within the shape of something; surrounded by something She was lying in bed. sitting in an armchair Leave the key in the lock. Soak it in cold water.
- 3into something He dipped his brush in the paint. She got in her car and drove off.
- 4forming the whole or part of something or someone; contained within something or someone There are 31 days in May. all the paintings in the collection I recognize his father in him (= his character is similar to his father's).
- 5 during a period of time in 2012 in the 18th century in spring/summer/winter in the fall in March in the morning/afternoon/evening I'm getting forgetful in my old age.
- 6after a particular length of time to return in a few minutes/hours/days/months. It will be ready in a week (= one week from now). She learned to drive in three weeks (= after three weeks she could drive).
- 7 (used in negative sentences or after first, last, etc.) for a particular period of time I haven't seen him in years. It's the first rain we've had in ten days.
- 8wearing something dressed in their best clothes the man in the hat to be in uniform She was all in black.
- 9used to describe physical surroundings We went out in the rain. He was sitting alone in the darkness.
- 10used to show a state or condition I'm in love! The house is in good repair. I must put my affairs in order. a man in his thirties The daffodils were in full bloom.
- 11involved in something; taking part in something to act in a play
- 12used to show someone's job or profession He is in the army. She's in computers. in business
- 13 used to show the form, shape, arrangement, or quantity of something a novel in three parts Roll it up in a ball. They sat in rows. People flocked in the thousands to see her.
- 14used to show the language, material, etc. used Say it in English. She wrote in pencil. Put it in writing. I paid in cash. He spoke in a loud voice.
- 15 concerning something She was not lacking in courage. a country rich in minerals three yards in length
- 16while doing something; while something is happening In attempting to save the child from drowning, she nearly lost her own life. In all the commotion, I forgot to tell him the news.
- 17used to introduce the name of a person who has a particular quality We're losing a first-rate editor in Jen.
- 18 used to show a rate or relative amount a gradient of one in five a dropout rate of one in ten Idioms
prepositionjump to other results
in thatjump to other results
NAmE//ɪn ðət//(formal) for the reason that; because She was fortunate in that she had friends to help her.