- 1not guilty of a crime, etc.; not having done something wrong They have imprisoned an innocent man. innocent (of something) She was found innocent of any crime. He was the innocent party (= person) in the breakdown of the marriage. There must be an innocent explanation for her behavior. opposite guilty
- 2[only before noun] suffering harm or being killed because of a crime, war, etc. although not directly involved in it an innocent bystander innocent victims of a bomb blast Thousands of innocent civilians have been killed in this conflict.
- 3not intended to cause harm or upset someone synonym harmless It was all innocent fun. It was a perfectly innocent remark.
- 4having little experience of the world, especially of sexual matters, or of evil or unpleasant things synonym naive an innocent young child
- adverb “Oh, Sue went too, did she?” I asked innocently (= pretending I did not know that this was important).
adjectivejump to other results
innocentlyjump to other results