- 1 [countable, usually singular] look (at somebody/something) an act of looking at someone or something Take a look at these figures! Make sure you get a good look at their faces. One look at his face and Jenny stopped laughing. A look passed between them (= they looked at each other). It's an interesting place. Do you want to take a look around? We'll be taking a close look at these proposals (= examining them carefully). search
- 2 [countable, usually singular] look (for something/somebody) an act of trying to find something or someone We'll begin our look for a new apartment next week. expression
- 3 [countable] an expression in your eyes or on your face a look of surprise He didn't like the look in her eyes. She had a worried look on her face. A doubtful look crossed his face. We got a number of curious looks from passers-by. appearance
- 4[countable, usually singular] the way someone or something looks; the appearance of someone or something It's going to rain today by the look of it (= judging by appearances). Looks can be deceptive. Idon't like the look of that guy (= I don't trust him, judging by his appearance).
- 5looks [plural] a person's appearance, especially when the person is attractive She has her father's good looks. He lost his looks (= became less attractive) in later life. see also good-looking fashion
- 6 [singular] a fashion; a style The punk look is back in fashion. They've given the place a completely new look. Idioms
using eyesnounjump to other results
to look at someone in a way that shows you are annoyed with them
give somebody a dirty lookjump to other results
used to describe the very angry or unpleasant way someone is/was looking at you If looks could kill, she thought, seeing the expression that came over his face when he saw her, she'd be dead on the pavement. I don't know what I've done to upset him, but if looks could kill…
if looks could kill…jump to other results
to consider a problem or possibility very carefully and without hurrying We need to take a long hard look at all the options.
take a long (cool/hard) look at somethingjump to other results