- 1 [countable] an occasion when people buy and sell goods; the open area or building where they meet to do this a fruit/flower/livestock a street/an open-air/a covered market market stalls/traders Thursday is market day. see also farmers' market
- 2 [countable] a store that sells food or one kind of goods There is a nice fish market down the street. I stopped at the fruit and vegetable market on my way home from work. see also supermarket
- 3 [singular] business or trade, or the amount of trade in a particular type of goods the world market in coffee They have increased their share of the market by 10%. the housing/job market (= the number and type of houses, jobs, etc. that are available) They've cornered the market in sportswear (= sell the most). Topic CollocationsBusinessrunning a business buy/acquire/own/sell a company/firm/franchise set up/establish/start/start up/launch a business/company run/operate a business/company/franchise head/run a firm/department/team make/secure/win/lose/block a deal expand/grow/build the business boost/increase investment/spending/sales/turnover/earnings/exports/trade increase/expand production/output/sales boost/maximize production/productivity/efficiency/income/revenue/profit/profitability achieve/maintain/sustain growth/profitability cut/reduce/bring down/lower/slash costs/prices announce/impose/make cuts/cutbackssales and marketing break into/enter/capture/dominate a market capture/gain/grab/take/win/boost/lose market share identify/find/build/create a market for something start/launch an advertising/a marketing campaign develop/launch/promote a product/Web site estimate/assess/create/generate demand for your product attract/get/retain/keep/help customers/clients drive/generate/boost/increase demand/sales beat/keep ahead of/out-think/outperform/ (informal) stymie the competition meet/reach/exceed/miss sales targetsfinance draw up/set/present/propose/agree on/approve a budget keep to/balance/cut/reduce/slash the budget be/come in below/under/over/within budget generate income/revenue/profit(s)/funds/business fund/finance a campaign/a venture/an expansion/spending/a deficit provide/raise/allocate capital/funds attract/encourage investment/investors recover/recoup costs/losses/an investment/an outlay get/obtain/offer somebody/grant somebody credit/a loan apply for/raise/secure/arrange/provide financingfailure lose business/trade/customers/sales/revenue accumulate/accrue/incur/run up debts suffer/sustain enormous/heavy/serious losses face cuts/a deficit/bankruptcy/a shortfall declare/file for/enter/avoid/escape bankruptcy liquidate a company/a business/assets survive/weather a recession/downturn propose/seek/block/oppose a merger launch/make/accept/contest/defeat a takeover bid
- 4 [countable] a particular area, country, or section of the population that might buy goods the Japanese market the global/domestic market These movies are obviously made for the youth market.
- 5 [singular] market (for something) the number of people who want to buy something synonym demand a growing/declining market for used cars There's not much of a market for videocassettes these days.
- 6the market [singular] people who buy and sell goods in competition with each other The market will decide if the TV station has any future. a market-based/market-driven/market-led economy innovative products at the forefront of market trends see also black market, market forces
- 7[countable] = stock market the futures market a market crash There are many other compounds ending in market. You will find them at their place in the alphabet. Idioms
nounjump to other results
a situation in which there is a lot of a particular item for sale, so that prices are low and people buying have a choice
a buyer's marketjump to other results
interested in buying something I'm not in the market for a new car right now.
in the market for somethingjump to other results
available for people to buy to put your house on the market The house came on the market last year. There are hundreds of different brands on the market.
on the marketjump to other results
available to buy without any restrictions
on the open marketjump to other results
to buy and sell stock S and shares in order to make a profit
play the marketjump to other results
to charge such a high price for your goods, services, etc. that no one wants to buy them
price yourself/something out of the marketjump to other results
a situation in which people selling something have an advantage, because there is not a lot of a particular item for sale, and prices can be kept high
a seller's marketjump to other results