- 1operated by power from an engine a mechanical device/toy/clock mechanical parts
- 2connected with machines and engines mechanical problems/defects The breakdown was due to a mechanical failure.
- 3(disapproving) (of people's behavior and actions) done without thinking, like a machine synonym routine a mechanical gesture/response My work has become mechanical—I could do it in my sleep.
- 4connected with the physical laws of movement and cause and effect (= with mechanics ) mechanical processes
- 5(of a person) good at understanding how machines work
mechanicallyjump to other results
NAmE//məˈkænɪkli//adverb a mechanically powered vehicle She spoke mechanically, as if thinking of something else. He's always been mechanically minded.