- 1 [countable, uncountable] memory (for something) your ability to remember things I have a bad memory for names. People have short memories (= they soon forget). He had a long memory for people who had disappointed him. She can recite the whole poem from memory. He suffered loss of memory for weeks after the accident. Are you sure? Memory can play tricks on you. I quickly committed the car's license plate number to memory (= learned and remembered it). The drugs had a severe effect on her short-term memory.
- 2 [uncountable] the period of time that someone is able to remember events There hasn't been peace in the country within my memory. It was the worst storm in recent memory. This hasn't happened in living memory (= nobody alive now can remember it happening). something you remember
- 3[countable] a thought of something that you remember from the past synonym recollection childhood memories I have vivid memories of my grandparents. What is your earliest memory? The photos bring back lots of good memories.
- 4[uncountable] (formal) what is remembered about someone after they have died Her memory lives on (= we still remember her). Their behavior insults the memory of those who died for this country. computing
- 5[countable, uncountable] the part of a computer where information is stored; the amount of space in a computer for storing information Have you got enough memory available to run the program? see also RAM Idioms
ability to remember
nounjump to other results
NAmE//ˈmɛməri//, NAmE//ˈmɛmri//(pl. memories)
if something is etched on your memory, you remember it because it has made a strong impression on you
be etched on your heart/memory/mindjump to other results
to have a very bad memory; to forget things easily
have a memory/mind like a sieve(informal)jump to other results
if I remember correctly
if (my) memory serves me well, correctly, etc.jump to other results
intended to show respect and remind people of someone who has died He founded the charity in memory of his late wife. The statue was erected to the memory of my father.
in memory of somebody,to the memory of somebodyjump to other results
to say or do something that makes someone remember something Maybe these letters will help to jog your memory.
jog somebody's memoryjump to other results