- 1Miss used before the family name, or the first and family name, of a woman who is not married, in order to speak or write to her politely That's all, thank you, Miss Lipman. compare Mrs., Ms.
- 2 Miss a title given to the winner of a beauty contest in a particular country, town, etc. Miss California the Miss America contest
- 3 Miss (informal) used especially by men to address a young woman when they do not know her name Will that be all, Miss?
- 4Miss used before a woman's first name, to speak to her politely, especially in the southern U.S. How are you, Miss Ellie?
- 5Miss (informal) (humorous) used before a description as a humorous name for a woman with that quality Carol is such a Miss Know-it-all—she has an answer for everything.
- 6(old-fashioned) a girl or young woman not hit, catch, etc.
- 7a failure to hit, catch, or reach something He hit twelve in a row without a miss. see also near miss
title/form of addressnounjump to other results