- 1[only before noun] connected with the place where you were born and lived for the first years of your life your native land/country/city It is a long time since he has visited his native Chile. Her native language is Korean. see also native speaker
- 2 [only before noun] connected with the place where you have always lived or have lived for a long time a native of New York
- 3 [only before noun] connected with the people who originally lived in a country before other people, especially white people, came there native peoples native art
- 4native (to…) (of animals and plants) existing naturally in a place synonym indigenous the native plants of America The tiger is native to India. native species Some animals are in danger because their native habitat is being destroyed.
- 5[only before noun] that you have naturally, without having to learn it synonym innate native cunning Idioms
adjectivejump to other results
(of a person staying in another country) to try to live and behave like the local people You will be able to meet local people, eat local food and “go native”.
go native (often humorous)jump to other results