- 1[countable] a hollow place or structure that a bird makes or chooses for laying its eggs in and sheltering its young sparrows building a nest of twigs and dry grass
- 2[countable] a place where insects or other small creatures live and produce their young a wasps' nest a nest of mice
- 3[singular] a secret place which is full of bad people and their activities a nest of thieves
- 4[singular] the home, thought of as the safe place where parents bring up their children to leave the nest (= leave your parents' home) see also empty nest
- 5[countable, usually singular] a group or set of similar things that are made to fit inside each other a nest of tables Idioms
- 1a discovery that seems interesting but is found to have no value
- 2a very complicated situation This area of the law is a veritable mare's nest.
nounjump to other results
to make yourself richer, especially by spending money on yourself that should be spent on something else
feather your (own) nestjump to other results
a difficult situation in which a lot of people get very angry His letter to the editor stirred up a real hornets' nest.
a hornets' nestjump to other results
a mare's nestjump to other results