- 1 net something to earn an amount of money as a profit after you have paid tax on it The sale of paintings netted $17,000.
- 2net something to catch something, especially fish, in a net
- 3net somebody/something to catch someone or obtain something in a skillful way A swoop by customs officers netted a large quantity of drugs.
- 4 net something to kick or hit a ball into the goal synonym score He has netted 21 goals so far this season.
- 5net something to cover something with a net or nets It is a good idea to net the strawberry plants.
NAmE//nɛt//Verb Forms present simple I / you / we / they net
he / she / it nets
past simple netted
-ing form netting