- 1[uncountable, countable] the fact of trying to prevent something or someone from making progress the obstruction of justice He was arrested for obstruction of a police officer in the execution of his duty.
- 2[uncountable, countable] the fact of blocking a road, an entrance, a passage, etc. obstruction of the factory gates The abandoned car was causing an obstruction.
- 3[countable] something that blocks a road, an entrance, etc. It is my job to make sure that all pathways are clear of obstructions.
- 4[countable, uncountable] something that blocks a passage or tube in your body; a medical condition resulting from this synonym blockage He had an operation to remove an obstruction in his throat. bowel/intestinal obstruction
- 5[uncountable] (sport) the offense of unfairly preventing a player of the other team from moving to get the ball