- 1 on one occasion only; one time I've only been there once. He washes his car once a week. She only sees her parents once every six months.
- 2 at some time in the past I once met your mother. He once lived in Alaska. This book was famous once, but nobody reads it today.
- 3 used in negative sentences and questions, and after if to mean “ever” or “at all” He never once offered to help. If she once decides to do something, you can't change her mind. Idioms
- 1suddenly All at once she lost her temper.
- 2all together; at the same time I can't do everything all at once—you'll have to be patient.
- 1immediately; without delay Come here at once!
- 2at the same time Don't all speak at once! I can't do two things at once.
adverbjump to other results
all at oncejump to other results
at oncejump to other results
on this occasion (which is in contrast to what happens usually) For once he arrived on time. Can't you be nice to each other just this once?
(just) for once, just this once (informal)jump to other results
going once, going twice, soldjump to other results
one more time; another time Once again the plane was late. Let me hear it just once more.
once again, once morejump to other results
used to say that someone cannot change Once an actor, always an actor.
once a…, always a…jump to other results
now and for the last time; finally or completely We need to settle this once and for all.
once and for alljump to other results
after an unpleasant experience you are careful to avoid something similar
once bitten, twice shy (saying)jump to other results
once in a blue moon (informal)jump to other results
(every) once in a whilejump to other results
a few times I don't know her well, I've only met her once or twice.
once or twicejump to other results
used to say that someone has done something wrong or stupid again, and this time they will suffer because of it You've tried that trick once too often.
once too oftenjump to other results
used, especially at the beginning of stories, to mean “a long time in the past” Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess.
once upon a timejump to other results