- 1(also passageway NAmE//ˈpæsɪdʒweɪ//) [countable] a long narrow area with walls on either side that connects one room or place with another synonym corridor a secret underground passage A dark narrow passage led to the main hall. in the body
- 2[countable] a tube in the body through which air, liquid, etc. passes blocked nasal passages section from book
- 3[countable] a short section from a book, piece of music, etc. synonym excerpt, extract Read the following passage and answer the questions below. Topic CollocationsLiteraturebeing a writer write/publish literature/poetry/fiction/a book/a story/a poem/a novel/a review/an autobiography become a writer/novelist/playwright find/have a publisher/an agent have a new book out edit/revise/proofread a book/text/manuscript dedicate a book/poem to…plot, character, and atmosphere construct/create/weave/weave something into a complex narrative advance/drive the plot introduce/present the protagonist/a character describe/depict/portray a character (as…)/(somebody as) a hero/villain create an exciting/a tense atmosphere build/heighten the suspense/tension evoke/capture the pathos of the situation convey emotion/an idea/an impression/a sense of… engage the reader seize/capture/grip the (reader's) imagination arouse/elicit emotion/sympathy (in the reader) lack imagination/emotion/structure/rhythmlanguage, style, and imagery use/employ language/imagery/humor/an image/a symbol/a metaphor/a device use/adopt/develop a style/technique be rich in/be full of symbolism evoke images of…/a sense of…/a feeling of… create/achieve an effect maintain/lighten the tone introduce/develop an idea/a theme inspire a novel/a poet/somebody's work/somebody's imaginationreading and criticism read an author/somebody's work/fiction/poetry/a text/an article/a poem/a novel/a chapter/a passage review an article/a book/a novel/somebody's work give something/get/have/receive a good/bad review be hailed (as)/be recognized as a masterpiece quote a phrase/a line/a stanza/a passage/an author provoke/spark discussion/criticism study/interpret/understand a text/passage translate somebody's work/a text/a passage/a novel/a poem of time
- 4[singular] the passage of time (literary) the process of time passing Her confidence grew with the passage of time. of bill/legislation
- 5 [singular] the process of discussing a bill in a law-making body so that it can become law The bill is now guaranteed an easy passage through the House of Representatives. journey by ship
- 6[singular] a journey from one place to another by ship Her grandfather had worked his passage (= worked on a ship to pay for the journey) to America. going through
- 7[singular] a passage (through something) a way through something The officers forced a passage through the crowd.
- 8[uncountable] (formal) the action of going across, through, or past something Large trees may obstruct the passage of light.
- 9 [uncountable, countable, usually singular] the permission to travel across a particular area of land We were promised (a) safe passage through the occupied territory. see also bird of passage, rite of passage
long narrow way
nounjump to other results