- 1the regular way in which something happens or is done changing patterns of behavior an irregular sleeping pattern The murders all seem to follow a (similar) pattern (= happen in the same way).
- 2[usually singular] an excellent example to copy This system sets the pattern for others to follow.
- 3a regular arrangement of lines, shapes, colors, etc. as a design on material, carpets, etc. a pattern of diamonds and squares a shirt with a floral pattern
- 4a design, set of instructions, or shape to cut around that you use in order to make something a knitting pattern She bought a dress pattern and some material.
- 5a small piece of material, paper, etc. that helps you choose the design of something synonym sample wallpaper patterns
nounjump to other results