- 1used to show that you are giving your own opinion about something Personally, I prefer the second option. “Is it worth the effort?” “Personally speaking, yes.”
- 2by a particular person rather than by someone acting for them All letters will be answered personally. Do you know him personally (= have you met him, rather than just knowing about him from other people)? I'll deal with the matter personally. He's no longer personally involved in the day-to-day running of the company.
- 3in a way that is connected with one particular person rather than a group of people synonym individually He was personally criticized by inspectors for his incompetence. You will be held personally responsible for any loss or breakage.
- 4in a way that is intended to be offensive I'm sure she didn't mean it personally.
- 5 in a way that is connected with someone's personal life rather than with their job or official position Have you had any contact with any of the suspects, either personally or professionally? Idioms
adverbjump to other results
to be offended by something I'm afraid he took your remarks personally. Please don't take this personally, but would you mind leaving us alone for a few moments?
take something personallyjump to other results