- 1used as a polite way of asking for something or telling someone to do something Please sit down. Two coffees, please. Quiet please! Please could I leave early today?
- 2used to add force to a request or statement Please don't leave me here alone. Please, please don't forget. Please, I don't understand what I have to do.
- 3used as a polite way of accepting something “Would you like some help?” “Yes, please.” “Coffee?” “Please.”
- 4Please! (informal) (often humorous) used to ask someone to stop behaving badly Children, please! I'm trying to work. John! Please!
- 5Please/P-lease NAmE//pəˈliz//used when you are replying to someone who has said something that you think is stupid Oh, please! You cannot be serious.
exclamationjump to other results